Monday, October 3, 2011

A Divine Experiment

For the next 3 weeks, several of my students and I will be fasting from various things of our choosing (certain foods, entertainment, the phone or internet, etc.), and meeting each morning to pray. We'll be asking God to humble us, we'll seek his face, and we'll turn away from the things we've made idols out of. We're doing this with 9 other Christian organizations on campus, and I'm excited to see how God moves among us and through us. I'll keep you updated!

This morning, I managed to wake up and get to our prayer gathering before the 7am start time. I think it helped that my staff partner Ben needed a ride from me...

I've been enjoying looking through old recipes for soups that you can eat during a "Daniel Fast." That's a fast based on what Daniel did in the Old Testament when he was being trained as a servant for the Babylonian emperor. He and his Jewish friends were expected to eat foods that were "unclean," forbidden by God. He made a deal with the guy in charge that he and his friends would only eat veggies for 10 days, and at the end of it, if they were unhealthy, then they'd eat the food everyone else was fed. The veggie diet won out.

There are several variations on the rules, but I'm abstaining from meat, dairy, sweets, and processed foods. That leaves fruits, veggies, nuts and legumes, and unprocessed grains. I've done it before, and it's not crazy hard. Last time it opened my eyes to how much I depend on food to comfort, distract, and entertain me. And the sheer choices of restaurants blew my mind when I'd drive around. So I'm actually looking forward to the freedom and realizations that it'll bring, but I know I'll be feeling it when my birthday hits next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment