Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Story Time

The Story of God, the Story of Us by Sean Gladding was simply an excellent read. He wrote about major stories in the Bible, but in a friendly invitational tone. He set up the Old Testament storytelling with a Jewish elder in Babylonian captivity calling his people back to God and the lessons of their history. He wrote the New Testament stories in the midst of a house church facing growing persecution but sharing the story with one another and newcomers. I was drawn in by the stories from Scripture, even though I've read most of them more times than I can remember. Gladding's style and approach, the story he set the storytelling in, kept me coming back. I don't know if it's a useful book for starting conversations with non-believers - one of my staff friends, Bethany at Rice, tried handing out a ton of copies while Sean Gladding was visiting her campus, but I haven't heard how it went. I do know that as a believer I was refreshed and inspired to take another look at stories I've started glossing over, and to read some of the Old Testament I can never seem to get around to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment