Saturday, February 9, 2013

Hezekiah and Much Needed Help

During our Area Team Meetings last week, we studied the story of Hezekiah from 2 Kings 18-19. Our big takeaway - we need to pray! Hezekiah turns to God quickly in the face of danger. He could have gotten frustrated at God; he had brought the nation of Israel back to God after his forefathers had built altars to other gods and had turned away from the real God. Why was he still facing destruction and slavery by the Assyrians? But he turned to God, and even asked God to save them so that all nations would know that He was the only true God. Even when we're getting terrifying reports, we need to choose prayer over fear and making our own plans.

I prepared a "Retreat of Silence" or ROS for our time Tuesday. It's a chance to hear from God during several hours of intentional silence. You can read the Bible or another book, enjoy nature, confess, praise, ask God to provide. Or just listen.

I was in a spiritually hard place since Urbana, and I think it was coming before then. I've had moments of peace and even revelation. But when I returned home, in the midst of everyday life, lots of lies, fears, and anger rushed back in.

During the ROS, after lots of struggling, God brought me to a place where I knelt and confessed my sin. I realized I knew those thoughts and feelings were lies, and I needed to think about the truth. That was some much needed help for my soul.

Between our time with Hezekiah and the ROS, I left in a much better place. I'm still living in unhealthy patterns, but I've recognized the changes God is making in my life, ways he's strengthening and disciplining me and bringing some transformation.

We can feel hopeless toward change this time of year. Resolutions are all but forgotten. I hope you find space for prayer, reflection, and truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment