Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Breakthroughs

I think a lot of students actually experienced breakthroughs at Breakthrough this weekend. Praise God! About 450 students attended, plus some alumni and special guests. And us staff.

We did manuscript studies over Acts 11:19-30; 12:25-13:3 and Acts 14:8-28. God calls us to cross ethnic and socioeconomic boundaries. The disciples fast and pray a lot. And Paul encourages them, saying, "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God" after being stoned, then traveling back to the same cities he faced opposition in. Not the pep talk you'd want to hear, right?

Jovin Adjeitey, IV International Student Ministry staff at University of Houston, preached from Acts 16:11-36 on freedom and 17:16-34 on mission. Saturday, she asked students if they were like Lydia, the slave girl, or the jailer. All needed freedom in Jesus. On Sunday, she called students to follow the God of mission to share the gospel wherever they were at, starting on campus.

I don't have final numbers; several students decided to follow Jesus for the first time, and some more recommitted to Jesus, including two Aggie IVers! Students wrote what was holding them in chains on sticks, then broke them in half.

I was impressed with the students who came to the Small Group Leader 201 workshop I led. They eagerly shared observations on Acts 17:1-9 and quickly came up with great potential observation, interpretation, and application questions. I'm excited for them to raise the "missional temperature" in their Small Groups.

I spent chapter time with Renew at SFA, celebrating (twice the students from last year and now an official chapter!) and helping them apply what we learned. I saw Thrive and AgIV at Bible studies, meals, and the party, where we danced and played Mafia. Here's me with J and T, the two Thrivers who came. Pray as they take risks to share the gospel and be real in a strong nominal Christian culture.

And a little treat for you, here's the welcome video we made for students. You can spot me in the very back. We work hard to contextualize our ministry. At least, that's what I tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment