Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Breaking the Rules

I finished this during NSO, but I didn't have time to write a blog post about it. Now that ministry has settled into a more regular pace, I wanted to share what I thought. Breaking the Rules by Fil Anderson was a freeing, enjoyable read.

His message of freedom from performance struck me. I appreciated his stories and the way he illustrated truth with them. I actually drew from his discussions on the woman who anoints Jesus in Mark 14 for my Large Group talk earlier this month. Doing what we can for God is beautiful to him. Wasting our time, energy, and resources to be with him and follow him - that's what matters. And when the world, or even the church, judges you for being wasteful, you know the truth.

If you struggle with perfectionism, wish you could let go of the drive to find worth in your performance, experience desperation to be freed for intimacy with God, then I think this book is for you. He doesn't give a ton of practical help. But then, most of us who struggle with performance mostly need to start thinking in new ways and receiving God's love. And while that's terribly practical, I don't think tips will do us much good. We just start judging our performance in how well we're following the plan and how far we've come in fixing the problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment