Saturday, June 22, 2013

Serve One Another

Wednesday, at my church Small Group, I got a hard icebreaker question. How can we grow as a community? My answer: Kyle's like a black belt-Jedi-McGyver at service; it's how he shows love. I often fail to think how I can serve people, while it's on Kyle's mind a lot. Beyond serving shared needs, we could take time to consider each other. Sometimes people won't voice their needs or even know what they are. We miss out on loving people simply because we're not being thoughtful.

1 Peter 4:10-11 says, "As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace... whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ." God is glorified when we serve one another. We're blessed, too. It's beautiful when we shift our gaze from our needs, worries, whatever, to one another. God transforms and uses us, and we get more of the life He intends us for.

Thursday, I did laundry and grocery shopping. Kyle's swamped with work, had jury duty, and as a cherry on top, caught a cold. Often I'm the swamped or sick one, and Kyle comes to the rescue. It felt good to serve him by taking care of those to-do's.

Friday, I was able to serve in a different way when I met with a student facing hard things. We studied Scripture, prayed, and talked about our worth and how to honor parents. It's why I love ministry - helping someone know truth, Jesus healing them, changing the rest of their life. Thanks for praying and giving so I can be there.

I'm excited to see what today holds. The trick will be to serve by the strength God gives. It's easy to rely on myself and burn out! What about you? Has God given you a cool idea of how to serve others lately? How has it blessed you and glorified God?

No comments:

Post a Comment