Monday, April 30, 2012

Sharing our Stories

Stories are powerful. Jesus was a master storyteller. My students and I on the other hand - we're still learning. But two of the women I discipled this year shared their testimonies in the last two weeks, and it was powerful.

Cristina shared her story at our Annual Fundraising Banquet in Houston. She came to Christ a year and a half ago at a national LaFe conference (LaFe is IV's Latino specific ministry). Her story was moving, and she shared it all - growing up in a broken family, a family friend blaming her parents' impending divorce on her and her brother, trying to grow up quickly and be in control, it all being too much, attempting suicide twice. Friends reached out to her, and she moved into her RA's dorm room. Her RA was Ebay, one of our Small Group Leaders. Cristina sat in the Bible study and experienced loving community. She stuck around, despite her doubts and fears. This semester, she went to IV's Mexico mission trip over Spring Break, she's been reaching out to her coworkers and old friends, and she danced to a worship song in front of over 400 students at Breakthrough, our spring weekend training conference. Next year, Cristina will be a Small Group Leader.

Shannon came to the Banquet and heard Cristina speak. She thought God was calling her to finally share, so she did at our Core Meeting last week. Next year, Shannon will help with worship team and hopefully disciple some freshmen.

I foolishly shared Shannon's story without her permission, so I've now deleted it. If you read it before I took it down, please don't pass it along. As I said above, stories are powerful, and I don't want Shannon's story to be used in any way other than what God has called her to use it for. Please forgive me for my rashness in publishing it. Thanks for your understanding.

It's been humbling and exciting to be a part of both of their stories. Thanks for supporting ministry to these two, and to many other students!

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn,

    You write so well! I love reading your posts. So excited to see both Shannon and Cristina loving Jesus and growing. I cant wait to see you at RW and catch up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole! I can't wait to see you at RW! And I can't wait to see bebe E! I wasn't sure you'd be able to come. We'll need to grab a meal together at the very least.

    ReplyDelete