Friday, July 1, 2011

I Found a Good Book!

I Once Was Lost was a quick read, and fantastic! Now, all I need to do is apply it to my ministry - easier said than done.

Don Everts and Doug Schaupp share their experiences ministering in the post-modern college world, specifically in regards to evangelism. The 5 "thresholds" a non-Christian can go through before they decide to follow Jesus are: distrusting a Christian to trust, apathy to curiosity about spiritual questions and Jesus, closed towards life change to open, meandering to seeking, and death to Kingdom life.

They cover steps to take in each threshold to help a non-Christian walk through it, and caution about what is unhelpful during that time. And in true postmodern fashion, they uphold the mystery and uncertainty of the whole process, making it clear that there are no guarantees and that the Spirit is the one at work.

I'm trying to think through where most non-Christian Aggies are, and what kinds of events, activities, and training we need to plan to engage with people in each of the 5 thresholds. Any ideas, brilliant or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda stuck in my typical InterVarsity ministry answers, and would love anything outside my box to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment