Monday, July 18, 2011

GTD - Do you know what it means?

Cuz I do! Kyle and I took the plunge and read Getting Things Done by David Allen. It's been out for years now, and I've always thought it could be a useful tool for me. Kyle didn't know there was a book, and when he found out, we had to borrow it from Shiloh.

I'm starting to implement it. I need to set aside a couple days to go through all my piles and figure out what to do with everything. According to Allen, there are 8 options: trash it, file it for reference, make it a next action, put it on your calendar, put it in a tickler file, delegate it, put it on a someday/maybe list, or organize it as a project.

Although I haven't even organized everything yet, I started implementing the idea of the "next action." Instead of writing vague words on my to-do list that trigger my memory but aren't descriptive, or writing a step that needs to happen down the line but isn't the absolute next thing I need to do, I actually write down the next action I need to take. It's been great for my mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment