Thursday, June 9, 2011

Quotes from Praying

Just finished reading Praying, and I'll post a review of it tomorrow. In the meantime, I particularly loved some of the quotes they used:
"I ask you whether you pray, because diligence in prayer is the secret of eminent holiness." - Bishop Ryle, A Call to Prayer

"May it be the real I who speaks. May it be the real Thou that I speak to." - C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm

"I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment." - C.S. Lewis, "A Word About Praising," Reflections on the Psalms

He asked for strength that he might achieve;
he was made weak that he might obey.
He asked for health that he might do greater things;
he was given infirmity that he might do better things.
He asked for riches that he might be happy;
he was given poverty that he might be wise.

He asked for power that he might have the praise of men;
he was given weakness that he might feel the need of God.
He asked for all things that he might enjoy life;
he was given life that he might enjoy all things.
He has received nothing that he asked for, but all that he hoped for.
His prayer is answered.
- A poem on how God hears our prayers and answers what we should have asked, attributed to Col. R.H. Fitzhugh, The Paradox of Prayer

"There is nothing more unchristian than the solitary Christian." - John Wesley

"I love the human race. It's people I can't stand." - Peanuts

No comments:

Post a Comment