Friday, November 29, 2013

Feeling like a Scrooge? Read on...

I've been thinking a little about money lately. It's Black Friday. I usually focus on fund development for InterVarsity this time of year. A few organizations ask for year-end gifts. There are presents to buy. We have one friend who is miraculously going to close on a house soon, and another waiting for a job to start so he can pay his bills. And we'll be figuring out our taxes in January. Money's not the main thing on my mind, but it's there.

I just read this article, "Center Your Budget Around Buying Freedom Instead of Things," from Lifehacker. I think it argues for a much healthier view of money and stuff. In the Western world, we've viewed stuff as a means to security. But more stuff just means more stuff we need to keep secure. It's a never ending cycle. So choosing freedom over consumerism seems good at first glance.

Without God, though, freedom, especially "buying" freedom, gets just as twisted. Instead of accumulating things to fill up our need for safety, we bolster ourselves up with our freedom. Because when I can make any choice I want, I have power. And if I have power, I feel in control.

It comes down to protecting myself again, creating an illusion to comfort myself and feel good about going my own way. I think God has a better way. I just watched this a few days ago, and it's got me thinking.

Breaking the Power of Money - Dr. Lendol Calder from InterVarsity twentyonehundred on Vimeo.

Would you tear the bill in half? How about giving it away instead? This year, how will you worship God, instead of stuff or freedom or security or Mammon?

No comments:

Post a Comment